Modification and Enforcement of Divorce Orders

As time passes after a divorce or custody arrangement, people's lives inevitably change, and sometimes the court orders that were initially issued require modification. When this happens, you may need to petition the court for a modification.

At Kathleen K. Reeves & Associates, you will find an experienced divorce lawyer with more than 30 years of experience representing clients in divorce modifications throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, including Pleasanton, Livermore and Dublin. We can assess the details of your situation and recommend a legal plan of action accordingly. We understand that facing some of these issues can be stressful, but we aim to make the whole process as seamless as we can.

Modification of Court Orders in California

The law of California recognizes that circumstances can change, and unexpected events can render a prior court order ineffective. Thus, individuals can petition for modifications of orders involving spousal support, child custody, and child support after a divorce has been finalized.

The court can modify almost any aspect of a divorce order, including child support, custody and spousal support. For the court to make this determination, however, the person requesting the modification will have to show a substantial change in circumstances that justifies changing the court order.

A substantial change in circumstances can involve:

  • Change in financial status or earning: If one of the parties receives a significant pay increase, loses a job or faces high expenses from an unforeseen accident or other event, it could change the ability to pay or the need for spousal support or child support.
  • Change in child's needs: In some cases, a child will develop special needs that increase the cost of child support or require a change in the parenting plan to accommodate the child's needs.
  • Relocation: Career requirements or unique family situations can require one of the spouses to relocate, which will almost invariably require a change in the parenting plan.

"Whatever your situation, I can help you create a plan and do whatever I can to help you obtain the results you need."

∙ Kathleen K. Reeves, Attorney at Law

Contact Kathleen K. Reeves & Associates

Do not wait. Talk with a lawyer right away to discuss divorce modifications. Call 510-957-9658 or email us to schedule your consultation.